Reaper Review: Monster Prom!

Home Forum Video Games Reaper Review: Monster Prom!

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Pacome 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

PiFace314
    Participant

LIKE A BOLT FROM THE BLUE, IT’S TIME FOR THE REAPER REVIEW!

Heya, and welcome to the Reaper Review! I’m Kyle and I like watching things and reading things and playing things, and also talking about and sharing them with people. So now I’m sharing with you ^^ IDK how long I’ll do these reviews or even how many of them, or even how in-depth critical they’ll be, but if they help you make an informed decision or possibly laugh your ass off I’m doing my job right. So let’s talk about monster f***ing.

Question 1) It’s called Monster Prom, but what does that actually mean for the game and why should I care?

All of them... so dateable... so f***able... that could be you in the middle!https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/012/776/814/a6b189f5cfe60720ac34209c1e6fdef7_original.png?crop=faces&w=1552&h=873&fit=crop&v=1477334343&auto=format&q=92&s=765ef3cb1dee9bb3036ff08890f24f8b

Monster Prom is a game where you live in a world filled with monsters and are going to a school made special for monsters. The highlight of the school year is the titular Monster Prom, where you have prom… and its for monsters. Not exactly the height of nuance or subtlety but that isn’t the point of the game. Your goal is, alongside other players or by yourself, to raise your stats, trigger events with one of six visually distinct and distinctly f***able love interests, and try not to go to prom stag. Did I mention you have only three weeks split into 9 selectable actions to do it? Now I must stress that there isn’t a lot of interactivity with the game itself, at least in discussing the traditional “game”. Yes you will take actions and you’re technically competing, but for the most part you’re going to be reading. There’s a whole bunch of that, with literally thousands of different events and probably several hundreds of thousands of words.

Question 2) The Steam Marketplace is full of Visual Novels like Sakura Spirits, Nekopara and even Western-made dating sims like Backstage Pass! What makes this one different?

He's hairier in the final game. There was a voting war between furry fans and bara fans on how hairy he was supposed to be. It was amazing.

I’m so glad you asked that question, me! First off it bills itself as a competitive dating sim, and even within the limited interactivity of the game you still get that feeling. You’re jostling around on the coach, fighting for the attention of the hipster vampire or the wolfman jock and hoping beyond hope senpai will notice you over your shadowman friend. Its colour palette and character design is also hugely distinct in a market teeming with round anime eyes and frighteningly clonelike child brides. Nope, these are bright, colourful and extremely distinct, not only between the main targets of your affection who each have different colour schemes befitting both their personalities and monster types, but even minor NPCs and your blank slates who look refreshingly interesting and well-drawn. The writing also feels incredibly fun, with a joke on every or every other line to add to what the makers dub a “postmodern take on dating sims”. While “postmodern” doesn’t necessarily come out, it feels lovingly like a game made by people who had a good time writing it and want people to have a good time playing it.

Question 3) So basically what you’re telling me is that this game is super special awesome and I should buy a copy right now. Have I got that right?
    Don't let her cute anime eyes fool you - she believes in serfdom and the oppression of the common man. Down with the monarchy! Rise, comrades, rise!

WAIT wait wait before you do that I’ve got to be honest and tell you this is by no means a perfect game! For a start, the tone is incredibly raunchy and sometimes mean-spirited. I’ve only played a few hours myself, but there a number of jokes on topics like genocide, teenage death, murder, dubious consent, drugs and a whole host of not exactly PC topics. These are all very much played for laughs but considering how much writing the game includes it comes to the point where these may stop seeming like good fun if you play for too long. Also, despite the distinctiveness of each character design some characters really will come off as more likeable and interesting than others to date. For example, the mermaid Miranda was the initial target of my affections purely on character design and concept… and then I realised she was not very charming and maybe the feminist Gorgon was more my type. There’s also the eventual fatigue that will come with playing this kind of game that is done in a long stretch – after all there’s so much reading to be done that you might want to throw your computer at the wall if you see Polly say yeet one more time.

OK… the results are in!

Survey says…

It passes!

While not a perfect game for a long stretch by any means and not necessarily a substantive game of emotional pathos, Monster Prom manages to strike up a pretty jamming tune. In short bursts and played with friends, it’s an excellent party game, almost certain to get you giggling at the sheer audacity of it. Maybe it’s not for the older crowd but it wasn’t made for them: it was made for the kids who grew up on Instagram and Tumblr, to whom slang is like a second language. So if you’re looking for a good game to while the time away on the couch or online (although when last tested online functionality is a little janky so be careful) and don’t mind some down and dirty humour, Monster Prom’s the cream of the crop.

So, pass on through.

But! Though you may forget the review, rest assured, it remembers you.

Monster Prom is now available for purchase here on Steam.

Images sourced from the Monster Prom Kickstarter and Game Cube.

• This topic was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  PiFace314.

Pacome
    Participant

Awesome!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.